Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Mom

So, growing up, my mom and I didn't get along at all. She was very angry and emotionally abusive at times. However, once she and my father finally divorced, she went on anti-depressants for awhile, lost a bunch of weight, started dating, and found her current husband, she became a different woman. He is an odd bird, for sure, but I'm happy he is in our lives because my mom is so much happier and more agreeable!

Anyway, about 2 years ago, her husband got a job in a nearby city. After 15 years of living across the country from her, she moved to a house that is an hour and a half drive away. I was really nervous. I mean, we'd grown closer over the years, but it's hard to shake all that childhood trauma and being an hour and a half away is a lot different than when we needed a plane ticket to see each other.

I needn't have worried, though. She has been a fabulous grandma. She loves to smock dresses and make things for Sophia. All I have to do is tell her what she needs and she whips it up. In the last month, she made a crib rail teething cover, a dress, mended a wet bag for the diaper pail, and made new curtains for the nursery. We picked out fabric this week for a birthday dress. Well, she is going to make a dress with a pinafore and we are going to change out the pinafore for birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and maybe Christmas. It's going to be adorable!

She visits about once a week, or I go up and see her so she can have some time with Sophia. She may roll her eyes about some of the things that we do, but she never argues or tries to give much advice. She respects our decisions and never tries to undermine or do things she knows we avoid. She says things that bug me fairly often, but nothing terrible, and don't all moms do that? She babysits and she knows Sophia so well, that I really don't worry about her. I'm nervous to have someone else watch her that doesn't know and love her so well. Sometimes I admit to getting a little jealous, wondering if she oooohed and aaaahed over me that much when I was a baby!

I think I also understand things a little better from my childhood. I think she was really doing her best, but was frustrated and depressed. I'm glad I moved away for college and we had some space because I really enjoy our relationship now. She really is a big support to me and it sometimes amazes me. If you'd told me at age 10 or 15 or even 21 that I'd consider my mom one of my closest friends, I would have assumed you knew nothing about me and my mom or were just crazy.

(PS. She also has an Etsy shop. It's under construction, so I'll probably talk about it again in the future, but check out her stuff! http://www.etsy.com/shop/mayflycreations)



Photobucket

No comments: