I know that I am blessed beyond measure. Though things haven't exactly gone according to my plans and I've had a rough couple of months, I am incredibly grateful for so much in my life.
I love my husband. He is so good to me. We drive each other crazy at times (many times), but I know that he loves me because he shows me in so many ways. We often say that it's a good thing we found each other because no one else would have us. He laughs at math jokes and holds me during the tough times. We are quite a team and I'm so thankful that, after meeting over 15 years ago, we finally figured out that we belonged together.
I have a beautiful home. It's amazing and I never dreamt I would live somewhere this nice. I love coming home and cooking dinner for me and my husband and talking to the dog and the cat. I love sitting by the fireplace reading the paper and curling up on the sofa with my husband to watch a movie. I love having a place for guests so that they actually enjoy coming to visit and I love having a place to sit when we invite people for dinner. I love the neighborhood and neighbors who brought us gifts and dinner when we moved in this year.
I am thankful for my family. We've had lots of ups and downs over the years. We're definitely a dysfunctional lot, but we're family and it seems that we're learning how to make that work. We can enjoy each other's company without being judgemental and allow the past to be in the past. We've come a long way and I'm proud of us.
I'm thankful for my job. It's been hard and there are things that I wish were different. I may even be called to move on to something different soon, but there are so many people that do not have jobs, who are losing jobs, who have so little. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to serve others and be a leader, teacher, and role model for my students. I take the responsibility seriously and I am thankful for those who trust me with such a serious task.
I am thankful for my health. Last year, my husband couldn't eat Thanksgiving dinner because he was recovering from jaw surgery. So many people struggle with things that are so much more serious. He deals with sick children every day. I think often of those I love and have loved in Africa and how many of them have died in the time I've been gone. We take so much for granted.
And I'm thankful for so much more. Five years ago, I could have never dreamt up the life I'm living now. God does amazing things with the most difficult circumstances. I don't know what is ahead, but I know that I have grown in my trust that, whatever happens, God loves me and will use it for his purposes.
No comments:
Post a Comment