So, I arrived at school on Tuesday to discover that one of my students had been in a terrible accident. He was riding his bike and got hit by a truck. He had emergency brain surgery and they had to remove part of his brain, due to swelling. That morning, the doctors were saying that he would not survive. By Wednesday morning, there had been some improvement. He was somewhat responsive (moving hands and feet slightly on command). The nurses started calling him "the 1%-er." Doctors are still guarded about his prognosis. Obviously, this will be a long road, no matter what.
I just can't help thinking about his family and the neighbor who hit him. By all accounts it was a complete accident, my student's fault. The car was not speeding or driving recklessly in any way. I just can't imagine...
About mid-day on Tuesday, my voice decided to leave. I couldn't talk. I wasn't even yelling at my students! It actually happened during my planning period. I felt fine, but when I woke up Wednesday, I still had no voice and I felt terrible, so I called into work to get a substitute. I'm still out today, and I actually feel even worse. I still have to go to our Open House tonight, though. I'm not looking forward to it. The math teacher is always in trouble with the parents.
My temperature worries were much ado about nothing. True, my last couple charts had higher temps, but when I looked back further, I saw plenty that weren't. Just something obsess about. Now, we just wait a few more days and try not to get our hopes up. And yes, I will admit that I googled to see if laryngitis could be a pregnancy symptom...lame. (In case you were wondering, it's not.)
1 comment:
Im so sorry to hear about your student, I will keep him, his family and the family of the driver in my prayers.
I love that you googled laryngitis as a possible symptom, I've googled crazier things than that. Good luck!
Post a Comment