Friday, September 3, 2010

Play Date

So, I actually managed to invite someone over for a play date today. I met her and her son at a local group for cloth diapering moms that just started. Her son is 3 days older than Sprout, so we hit it off right away. She friended me on FaceBook the next day. We did the usual "we should get together sometime" thing and then never followed through. Finally, after accidentally stealing her wipes case (it looked just like mine) at our last meeting and seeing her frequent posts about how lonely she was after her husband's deployment, I figured I had my chance, so I invited her.

So funny how much it really is like dating. What if she doesn't want to come? What if she only pretended to like me? Then she accepted, "yay!" What if she hates my house? What if she judges me? What if we can't find anything to talk about? What if Sprout whacks her son over the head with a book?

I needn't have worried. The kids were great. We had a nice time and kids help to keep conversation going. It was so nice to have some adult interaction and maybe start making a new friend. She said she'd like to do it again and I'm going to try to convince myself that she really meant it. When we get back from our vacation (we leave next week) I'm going to invite her over again. And we'll see how it goes.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You're so right - it is JUST like going on a date that first time you invite someone over!

Good on you for taking that first step, I am sure that 2nd one will be even better!

Elizabeth