Monday, February 18, 2013

Traveling to Tampa

I long ago realized that traveling with a baby/toddler/child means that we now take "trips" rather than "vacations." They certainly aren't relaxing, but we still have a lot of fun. We spent last week in Tampa, Florida, soaking in some sun and seeing the sights. Sprout was a trooper, as always. She had her toddler moments, of course, but all in all we are fortunate to have a good traveler. She enjoys exploring new places, doing new things, trying new foods. I think she got a touch of the adventurous spirit of her mother and great-grandmother. I'm glad to see that inquisitiveness and joy in new experiences.

Of course, she didn't nap at all, and because she is now three, we definitely have to cater more to her needs and wants. Gone are the days when we could leave her in the stroller for a couple hours while we explored little shops or a museum. Gone are the days when she would at least nap in the stroller so we could get an hour or so of peace. But, that's okay. It's all part of growing up, I guess. My husband has been a little slower to this realization, so he was a little grumpy on this trip because his expectations were not in line with the reality of a three year old. But he came around eventually and I think it was a good learning experience for our little family. We are on the go quite a lot and are already planning our next trip, so hopefully we can be a little better mentally prepared for our next adventure.

Being home again is nice, but I brought with me a nasty cold. I was already pretty sick on our day traveling home and fluid backed up into my ears during the plane flight and I was in a good bit of ear pain for a couple of days and unable to hear out of one ear. Luckily, it has mostly cleared and I'm just left with a runny nose. I just went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago with a nagging cough and was on all sorts of medication trying to get things under control. Naturally, as soon as I started feeling better, I got this cold, so I should be back to baseline coughing by the time I have my follow-up appointment next week.

This parenting stuff is always a learning experience, but I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to watch Sprout grow and learn and to see her joy at touching stingrays, riding her first roller coaster, and meeting Rosita from Sesame street. No question that while we may be experiencing some struggles, we are so very blessed in our family.

No comments: