Monday, January 17, 2011

My New Adventure

With the new year, I decided that it was time to start something new. I've been thinking and praying for quite some time about my next steps and I believe that I'm called to the Diaconal Ministry in my church. In the Episcopal Church, a Deacon is an ordained position, requiring a lot of education and training. It will probably take me a year or so to even become an official candidate and then at least another three years of training and education before ordination.

The role of a Deacon is to serve the community, to bring the needs of the community into the church, and lead the church in response to those needs. I have to discern a specific call to ministry, but eventually will take on a larger roll. It is not a full time or paid position, but definitely a serious commitment. One of the advantages to not having to work now is that I can devote the time and energy to serving others.

I feel like I've been lacking in this area for quite some time, though. I've been so wrapped up in myself and my baby (and before that, my job, which certainly was a ministry in itself). But I've always known that serving others was important to my life, indeed, it's purpose. It's the thing that drew me into education and drew me to Africa and other under served communities. I know that I'm not meant to be a full time teacher right now, but I am still called to serve in a big way. And so, I'm starting the journey. I'm just talking to lots of people right now. Nothing formal. Maybe I'll determine that now isn't the right time, but for now, I'm moving forward.

No comments: