It was so nice to get away and not worry about the obligations of home and baby. It was nice to not worry about pumping at all or or breastfeeding and, best of all, not be on any kind of schedule. We just wandered and decided on a whim where to go and what to do. Between jet lag and mommy hood, we weren't night owls, but we chatted into the night and slept in (for us, anyway). We took our time and did things for ourselves.
On Saturday morning, I checked FaceBook from my phone. DH's status: "Mommies - they do more before 10am than most people do all day." I hope that he has a better understanding of what I do in a day and why I don't keep the house in better shape. He seems to be more appreciative. Of course, since then he's been whining about needing some time off himself, so I'm not really sure the message sunk in as well as I'd hoped.
I do know that he needs time away, too, don't get me wrong. I just feel like sometimes he gets away all the time, but it doesn't "count" whereas anytime I leave him with the baby, he tries to consider it free time, even if I'm going grocery shopping. *sigh* He means well, but I have a feeling that there is much more negotiating in our future! I am enjoying the extra measure of respect he seems to have for my day to day activities, though.
So, I highly recommend a weekend away without husband or baby. Or even just a night - whatever you can manage. It did wonders for me and despite my reservations, I think it was really good for my marriage, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment