Friday, June 10, 2011

Sippy Cups

So, last night, Sprout and I were wandering through Target. She needed new sippy cups. So, we found the right section and then my dilemma began. There were "boy" colors and "girl" colors. I needed some take and toss cups (we reuse them until they fall apart or are eaten by the dog, by the way). I picked the green and blue ones over the pink and purple. No biggie.

Then it got harder. For the fancier cups, one set had pink flowers and the other had cars and trucks. The flowers were way cuter, but I felt like I "should" buy trucks. I was seriously frozen. What do I do? Eventually, I found the easiest solution to the problem - let Sprout choose! She chose the flowers and that's what I bought.

I have these moments all the time. I want her to know that it's okay and wonderful to be a girl, but know that she doesn't have to be limited to "girl" things and "girl" colors. I want her to be confident and empowered and I realize that what sippy cup she has when she's less than 2 years old will not make or break the values she has as she gets older. But I also know that the little things are sometimes the most important. That's where we send the most powerful messages about what we really believe. So, I probably fret too much about the colors of sippy cups and place mats. I just want to keep a check on myself so that she always knows that the whole world is open to her.


7 comments:

Melaina25 said...

It's so hard to find gender neutral children's things. It's one of the main reason I found out the then Poptart's sex at my 20 week ultrasound. I literally couldn't find anything gender neutral that was cute.

I tend to do the same thing as you; I let Blondie Boy choose and if he chooses pink, then so be it.

Thanks for taking part and be sure to read and comment on the other entries!

SusanKMann said...

I just let my boys pick what they want, if they pick pink then that's fine with me. x

Hay Hay said...

I love letting them choose, so much fun!

JoJo said...

i would let my son choose. it's no big deal but then some people say stuff like how can you let him have pink things??!! i think there's more important things in life! x

mtendere said...

But I guess the question is, what do I do whe she's not there and I have to choose for her?

Kismet21 said...

Good call. I realized that I buy the "boy colors" without thinking. Sometimes I grab girl ones too. I noticed I don't really look.

What I do do, however, is put the girl tops on the boy cups and vice versa. We are all mixed up and I like it that way. We end up with a green, blue, pink, purple, orange explosion.

Write Now, aka MAry McDonough-Clark said...

We have always operated a let the boys pick policy, which has earned me MANY a strange look as they go by wearing pink, black, purple and on 1 occasion even sequins. Someone around here needs to wear sequins, and I am glad it doesn't have to be me.