Monday, April 12, 2010

Things to bring when traveling with baby


So, I'm not going to go through all the obvious stuff - clothes, diapers, etc., but a few extra things we needed:

  • Bring your own car seat no matter how much DH tries to convince you that borrowing from the rental car place is a good idea. We ended up buying one because the one they gave us was awful.
  • Wet bags (or Ziploc). I'm a cloth diaperer, so I had wet bags, but they'd be helpful for anyone while traveling to stow messy outfits, dirty bibs, etc.
  • Diaper covers. Again, I use cloth diapers, but we used disposables on the trip. Last time we traveled with disposables, LO blew out every single time she pooped. Yuk! This time went much better. We put Thirsties covers over disposables and they worked like a charm to keep in the poo.
  • A largish blanket to use as a play mat.
  • A pacifier, even if LO doesn't usually take one. Our little girl doesn't love them and used to refuse them entirely, but she'll suck on one for a little while now, and that few minutes provides just enough time to get through security or other situation where I can't feed her change her right that second. With the paci clip, it also served as a toy that she couldn't drop.
  • Everything you need if LO gets a cold, because she probably will. (snot sucker, Tylenol, saline)
We went to Target the first morning there to stock up on diapers, wipes & baby food so that we didn't have to pack them. We also ended up buying a Boppy. I was already getting blisters from nursing in odd places/positions, so it was worth it, even though we had to leave it. I'll be sending back that card to get $7 back instead of the parenting magazine, though.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but since it's nap time, I'm going to try to start getting this house back in some semblance of order.


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Good travel suggestions. Glad you guys had a nice trip!