Sunday, April 11, 2010

Family Vacation

We had a wonderful family vacation in Arizona. It was certainly an adventure. Traveling with a baby makes things more interesting, for sure, but it was a special moment, sharing the Grand Canyon with my little girl. She was a trooper, even after she caught a cold. She adapted to everything we threw at her with way more grace than I did. We said many prayers of thanksgiving for how great she was on the trip.

I'll probably be adding a few more posts with tips and lessons learned and such, but for now, I'll just say - if you're thinking about taking a family vacation ,just do it! It will be different than you expected and often not easy, but making those memories together as a family is priceless.

One evening, I was frustrated and tired and trying to feed her sweet potatoes mixed with oatmeal sitting in the car. Then suddenly, I realized, that instead of struggling with her at home, I was having this experience while watching the sun set over the Grand Canyon. I mean you can't beat that. I breastfed her in all sorts of new and interesting locations, learned how to change diapers in the car on my lap, and put the stroller through its paces.

And Arizona is such a beautiful place. From cacti growing in Phoenix to snow-capped mountains to the painted dessert to the Grand Canyon, as DH likes to say, "That God can sure paint a picture." It's too bad our little girl won't remember this vacation, but we'll be sure to tell her about it and show her the pictures.

No comments: