
Has it really been two months already? Has it really only been 2 months? I feel like I'm in a strange time warp. Sophia is wonderful. She's growing well and has her 2 month check up and shots (gulp) tomorrow. She has slept through the night for several days in a row, so we're hoping this trend continues. We definitely approve.
On the other end, though, she's been fussing/crying/screaming up a storm every evening. DH is already calling it colic and I guess that's probably what it is as there's no other explanation. It could be related to her reflux, but doesn't seem to be associated with her feedings. That's a whole different issue, but one we're still struggling with, too. Anyway, on Thursday, when DH was on call, she screamed and screamed. I ended up driving with her for an hour, which calmed her down, but as soon as we were back in the house, the screaming began again. Then, I gave her a bath, which calms her down, but as soon as she was out, the screaming began again. I really thought I was going to lose my mind. She finally went to sleep around 11pm. The next night was only a little better because DH had a migraine and couldn't really help, either. It was rough. Last night, though, we went out to DH's office Christmas party and she stayed with my mom. It was a nice break. When we came home, she was fussy, but went down relatively quickly.
Another consequence of sleeping through the night is my cycle is trying to start again. I've been through 3 rounds of PMS symptoms and spotting in the last few weeks as her feedings have spaced apart at night and she has one long stretch during the day, too. I haven't had a full period, but it's really aggravating. I mean, I was counting on not having a period for quite awhile since I was exclusively breastfeeding. We were hoping to use breastfeeding as our birth control for the first 6 months. But, alas, no! I'm not sure what we'll do now.
She's beautiful and wonderful and frustrating and time-consuming. I love her deeply and sometimes wish I could be a better mom for her. I mean, I'm doing my best, but she's so perfect, I can't help feeling bad when I get frustrated or upset or can't calm her when she's so obviously in some kind of pain. I hope this screaming phase passes soon, because it can sure wear a mommy down. It's a good thing she's so darn cute!
1 comment:
She is too cute!
I understand what you mean about the screaming. Is it happening at the same time just about every night? This happened to us too. Bee actually told me it was what they call the "witching hour" it lasted for us about 2 months. We just put her in her crib and tried everything we could do to calm her. Sometimes DH would just hold her while she screamed bloody murder. We would take turns and that was very helpful.
Don't feel bad for having those feelings. It's all normal! You're doing a great job... just look at her!
Post a Comment