

So, I've become an errant blogger, but Sophia keeps me so busy! If I could blog easily from my iPhone, I might keep things updated better.
She's doing beautifully and growing well. No day is like any other. She's had a few days where she slept 6-7 hours per night and then last night she was back to 3-4. But she sleeps well during those hours, so I don't feel like I can complain much.
Breastfeeding was really hard at the beginning, but has gotten much better. She eats about every 2 and a half hours during the day and it takes her 40 minutes to an hour to feed, so that's what I spend the majority of my day doing. I've had a couple of milk blisters (called "blebs" isn't that a great word?). They are extremely painful when she latches on, but are a pretty minor thing in the breastfeeding realm and don't affect her feeding much.
I was doing some things to increase my supply early on because she wasn't gaining weight well, but I stopped when things were looking better. I'm going to start again, because I think it's been a little low in the evenings. She just doesn't seem satisfied, and yesterday she was feeding almost two hours straight. She'd stop and I'd need to change her and then she'd want to eat again. My Lactation Consultant recommended fenugreek, mother's milk tea, and red wine. Oatmeal is also supposed to help. So, I've started back with the fenugreek now. We'll see if it helps. I pump after our first morning feeding to build up a freezer supply. I think I may start also pumping after an evening feeding, to increase my own milk supply. I hate pumping, though, so I'm not sure I'll follow through with that.
She's starting to have longer awake and happy times now. It's fun to interact with her a little more. We took her to weigh her on Monday and she weighs 9 pounds, 10 ounces. So, she's up about 2 pounds from her birth weight. I can definitely tell that she's heavier. She's getting much better head control and lifts up her head really well during tummy time.
Overall, I'm simply in love and so grateful that I get to be home with her. Some days are really difficult, but I can't imagine going back to teaching right now, as I'd have to go back next week. I was worried that I'd want to go back to work and was second guessing my decision to take the year off, but now there is no doubt that I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.
I feel like there's so much more to say, but this is long enough already. I'll just have to try to blog more often. If Sophia ever gets more consistent with her naps, that will be much easier!
1 comment:
She is precious! Glad to hear everything is going well. Lillian just started sttn on her 3 Month birthday!
I would do anything to be home and not at school. Enjoy every moment!
School is such headache and NOT worth the stress at all!
Post a Comment