My OB was shocked, too. He started feeling on my belly and said that he swore her bottom felt like a head. And he's been delivering babies for like a zillion years. So, then we had to make some quick decisions. If we wanted to attempt to turn her, we needed to do it soon because I'm already so far along. We decided to go ahead and give it a try, so we have the External Version scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday). I'm really nervous. The doc gives it about a 50/50 chance of working. In the meantime, I'm trying to talk her into turning on her own, but so far, she's being stubborn.
If the version doesn't work, I'll schedule a cesarean section for Monday. That's so soon! He really doesn't want me to go into labor, because of the way the cord is placed. He said that it could cause problems if my water broke and she settled on top of it. I really, really, really do not want a c-section, but I guess it's pretty much out of my control at this point. I'm sure it's not the last time Sprout will have plans of her own.
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the whole thing. I did all the classes and I know about as much as I can know about c-sections, I think, but I just really thought I'd have a more stereotypical birth experience. I know that could still happen, but I'm trying to prepare myself. We decided to go into the version thinking it wasn't going to work so that we could be pleasantly surprised if it does.
DH is worried about his work schedule. His vacation isn't scheduled to start until Friday of next week, so it should be interesting. He found someone to cover him for the version tomorrow, but next week is going to take some real effort. I know that his coworkers will do it, but he's just one of those people that always helps everyone else but hates to ask for help himself. There might be some even longer waits at the pediatrician's office next week, if they're short a doctor!
We're supposed to call L&D first thing tomorrow morning to make sure they're not up to their ears in laboring mommies. If there's space, I'll go in early, get settled. They'll put me on monitors for awhile and give me an IV and terbutaline to relax the muscles. Then, my OB will attempt to turn her. He said that he wouldn't push too hard, that in his experience, either the baby wants to turn or doesn't. Then, whether it works or not, I'll be monitored for another half hour or so and then I'll pack up and go home. If it works, I'll wait for labor to start. If it doesn't, we'll officially schedule the cesarean for Monday.
So think upside-down thoughts for me tomorrow!
2 comments:
I hope things go smoothly tomorrow. If not, gl on Monday.
I am sending you and sprout upside-down vibes. Keep us posted!
Post a Comment