Monday, January 30, 2012

My Grandma

My wonderful, amazing, 91 year old grandmother died last week. While it wasn't shocking, it wasn't exactly expected either. I took Sprout with me up to New Jersey to be with the family.

My grandmother had a life full of love and adventure. She grew up in an Arizona border town, graduated from college, served as a cryptographer in the Army during World War II. After the war, she traveled and worked in the territory of Alaska, just for the adventure of it all, where she met my grandfather.

And that's only the beginning. I will never forget all of her stories. I am so glad that she got to spend time with Sprout and so sad that Sprout will not remember those times. But she will hear about her grandmother and hopefully I'll be able to pass on that confidence, love of learning, sense of duty, and adventurous spirit that made her so remarkable.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman. I would love to be able to hear some of those stories. Her life sounds like the basis for a movie! I know it must be difficult to lose someone so close to you. Thinking of you. And next time you're in NJ hit me up ;)