In the last few days, our little sweet girl decided, that on top of refusing to take naps consistently, she would also break out of her swaddle and wake up repeatedly at night. We'd been talking about sleep training for awhile, but we decided that since we were going to have to stop swaddling, anyway, we'd just go "in for a penny, in for a pound." So we basically opted for Ferber's method.
Now, judge me if you wish, but I really, truly do not believe that crying is going to permanently damage a child and that all of this is for her own good. However, it is really tough not to go to her when she is so miserable. I also think that it's necessary for my sanity. I've read the opinions out there that say leaving a baby to cry is abandonment. I'm willing to bet that in the frazzled state I've been in due to our sleep problems, I was in more danger of causing her stress by my inability to stay calm and loving. I never hurt her, but I was getting frustrated and certainly letting her know it. It wasn't good for either of us. So, I really hope that in a few days, we can move on and be a happier, well-rested family. In the meantime, it's hard.
The poor thing cried so loud and long that she lost her voice. But, she eventually did fall asleep and slept through the night. I hope tonight is easier. Her morning nap, she only cried for about 10 minutes and settled down, so I thought we were making progress, but the afternoon nap was a complete fail. This was possibly our own fault because we took her out to lunch with us and she ended up dozing for a few minutes, despite my best efforts. She's now sitting on my lap playing with a new crinkly cloth book and babbling away. I guess there's no permanent damage (to her, anyway). I'm going to feed her again and we're going to make another attempt. I don't know if I can stand it. It's a good thing DH has been here because I would have totally caved in.
Just so you're not too worried, she has shown that she can settle and soothe herself when she wants to. She just doesn't want to sleep. Apparently that's normal for this age, but she's overtired, and there has to be a change.
3 comments:
I've already started sleep training because I can tell its going to take FOREVER with the two of them. I hope that your efforts are rewarded with some good napping and sleeping SOON!
Have you ever heard of the Escape Proof Swaddle? You can google it or search on You Tube but I have heard of alot of people using it. E&J are still ok in their Swaddleme blankets but as soon as they start busting out, Im going to try the EPS.
I did read about the EPS, but since swaddling really wasn't having a calming effect anymore and was just making her more upset, we decided that we might as well do away with it altogether. It's hard, though!
I think when they break out of the swaddle its their way of telling us they are done with it. Well that was the case for Lillian anyways.
Lillian never really had a problem going down to bed. It was the waking up all hours of the night and crying. I agree with you on the DH part... if it wasn't for mine I would have caved too!
It so hard but so worth it. Now she goes down at 7 like clock work and stays alseep till we feed her at 10ish. From 10 till about 7am she is out.
Every once in a while she wakes, cries a few minutes and then falls back to sleep.
What your doing is right for you and your family. Don't listen to other people try to guilt trip you into some nonsense!!
Stay stong! :)
PS- she is so precious in that pic!!
Post a Comment