Even now, I'm bouncing Sophia in her bouncy seat and feeling guilty for not interacting with her. Though she is having a ball trying to grasp the little animals hanging from the seat. She's just figuring out how to do that and it's so cute. Look! She has the hippo now and made the lion play music! I have to admit, I never really understood how mom's could get so excited about such things, but now that I'm there, I totally get it. Every new development is so exciting and special. Sometimes I'm humbled by the enormity of it - all the new beginnings. The first time she rolled over (she's only done it once still, but that's okay), the first time she smiled or cooed, or grabbed the lion on her bouncy seat. They are all steps toward becoming her own person and I get teary just thinking about it. I guess I'm a softie after all.
Breastfeeding is still tough. Sophia's doing great, latching like a champ, eating well. My nipples, on the other hand keep getting blisters on them. They are unbelievably painful. They are actual friction blisters, not the little milk ones (which are also painful). The last round has been especially difficult and slow to heal. Yesterday, I ended up pumping and bottle feeding Sophia because it hurt so bad. It's a little better today, but as the blisters heal, they leave cracked, broken skin behind, so I'm on to that stage. Yesterday, it looked like I might have the beginnings of an infection, so I started with neosporin after every feeding and I have ridiculous plastic nipple shells to protect them.
I really think it's a bra issue. I saw the LC about it before and she said the latching was great. I've been sleeping in a pre-pregnancy bra to keep things in place and one day I slept in a target nursing bra and had blisters forming the next day. I ordered a Bravado nursing bra (I can't believe I spent that much on a bra), and it's fabulous. I've been wearing it everyday except when I'm washing. I'm ordering 2 more. I REALLY hope this solves the problem. I think I'm going to go see the LC again when I get healed up and actually make her watch an entire nursing session to be sure that there's nothing going on there. I don't want to wait until round 5 to find out I was wrong about the bra thing. I told my husband last night that I didn't know how long I'd be able to continue if it didn't get better. It's not supposed to be this painful 3 months in.
There are a million more things to say, but Sophia is now starting to nod off and I'd rather she slept in her crib than the bouncy seat because she'll stay asleep longer, so I'm going to tend to her. Thanks for reading.
2 comments:
Love your updates and glad Sophia is doing good! I know what you mean about being excited about little things your baby does, its such an amazing feeling!
Im sorry that breastfeeding is painful for you. I wish I had some suggestions but I dont. Just wanted to let you know I am proud of you for keeping up with it, even though its not easy for you. You are a good mama.
Sorry about the nips. I totally feel your pain...no really I do.
Hang in there...and try to keep the blog if you can. I like reading it when I have a chance!
Post a Comment